The rough for this sapphire was a mix of blue and yellow (see second photo) and was mined in the Umba Valley of Tanzania. The blue was cut away, we will cut that into a second stone later. To mix the two colors would have turned the stone a muddy color, completely obscuring what turned out to be a very high quality yellow! This gem does have an inclusion on the pavilion, but if these closeup photos don't bother you, no one will notice it once it is set in jewelry. This is a truly beautiful gemstone! GIA Report is included (see photos).
- Weight: 3.41 carats
- Dimensions (mm): 8.1 x 8.1 x 6.1
- Origin: Umba Valley, Tanzania
- Color: 5Y 8/14 (Vivid Yellow)
- Clarity: SI1 (there is a fair sized inclusion on the pavilion, but the stone has brilliance that obscures it)
- Cut: "RSA Octagon II" by Loren Brown
- Treatments: None
- Overall Quality Grade: 9
Color determines the base value of a gemstone. We report either GIA color codes or Gemworld International color codes or both.
Grading is done per Gemworld International's grading system. The overall quality grade determines the wholesale value of the stone.